YouTube Video-Innovators and Managers of Change
YouTube is viewed by billions of users, with over 6 billion hours of video being watched each month, which is almost an hour for every person on earth, as outlined on its statistics page.
A video I would recommend managers watch is called “Are We Ready for the Coming 'Age of Abundance'?” which features the marvels of achievement and how the world has taken a quantum leap. It starts with Gabriel Byrne talking about living in a world of profound change and how technology is defining and driving our world. He stresses the need to be prepared for this journey and the opportunities it will present.
The video is then moderated by Tom Stewart, Chief Marketing and Knowledge Officer of Booz & Company. He was the editor and managing director of Harvard Business Review and the pioneer of the concept of “intellectual capital,” which he outlined in his book The Wealth of Knowledge: Intellectual Capital and the Twenty-First Century Organization.
The following four people speak about the future of business. They are true innovators and managers of change, working to make a difference in our world:
1. Dr. Michio Kaku, an internationally recognized physicist, bestselling author, and futurist of science. He is cofounder of the string field theory. His goal is to help complete Einstein's dream of a “theory of everything,” a single equation that will unify all the fundamental forces in the universe.
2. Michael Schrage, MIT Sloan School of Digital Business, author of Serious Play and a new Harvard Business Review single, Who Do You Want Your Customers to Become?
3. Dr. Peter Diamandis, coauthor of Abundance: The Future Is Better than You Think and author of the forthcoming book Bold. He looks to technology and intelligence to solve life's challenges. He is chairman and CEO of X-Prize, which is leading innovation in the world by designing and launching large incentive prizes that are driving radical breakthroughs for the benefit of humanity. I love his quote: “The best way to predict the future is to create it yourself.” He cofounded the Singularity University, a Silicon Valley institution with many partners from NASA, Google, Autodesk, and Nokia that will work with the world's top enterprises to utilize technology and incentive innovation to accelerate their business objectives.
4. Isabel Aguilera, an independent advisor for Indra Systems (flight simulators and weapons system training) and president of Twin- docs. She is past president of GE in Spain and former CEO of Google Spain and Portugal. Forbes Magazine named her as one of the 50 most influential women in the world.
Three Areas That Will Affect and Improve Business
Three areas will affect and improve business, as outlined by the speakers:
1. Mobility (Internet, mobile devices)
2. The cloud
3. Instant analysis of data (for decision making – real-time data)
How you put these three areas in to use for the future will determine where you are in the race.