This chapter has set out a template format for a research protocol, breaking each section down and outlining what it involves and what decisions must be made prior to a research study going ahead. Many of the considerations in this chapter build on the step-by-step guide to research in Chapter 10, with a research protocol essentially tying together many of the decisions that have to be made in designing a research study. However, a research protocol also brings to the fore important questions around research ethics. Chapter 12 will consider ethics in more detail.
- 1. Daniel J. Sampling Essentials: Practical Guidelines for Making Sampling Choices. Los Angeles, London, New Delhi: SAGE; 2011. 321 pp.
- 2. Suresh K. An overview of randomization techniques: An unbiased assessment of outcome in clinical research. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2011;4(1):8-11.
- 3. Cardwell M, Flanagan C. Psychology AS. Hadenham: Nelson Thornes; 2005. 246 pp.
- 4. Field A, Miles J, Field Z. Discovering Statistics Using R. London: SAGE; 2012. 994 pp.
- 5. Field A. Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics, 4th Edition. 4th edition. London: SAGE Publications Ltd; 2013. 915 pp.