Five moments signaling the need for a strategy review:
- 1. Goals are achieved or changed
- 2. Evolution in customer needs
- 3. Innovation in the market
- 4. Competitors change the perception of value
- 5. Capabilities grow or decline
Three potential ways to deal with recurring fires:
- 1. Control
- 2. Delegate
- 3. Prevent
The Tactical Evaluation Matrix is a tool used to assess the tactics of the business on two parameters: efficacy with customers, and differentiation from competitors.
The Before Strategy Launch Review (BSLR) asks three questions:
- 1. What is the goal of the initiative?
- 2. What is the strategic approach being used to achieve this goal?
- 3. What are the key challenges to successful implementation of the initiative and how will we address them?
The After Strategy Launch Review (ASLR) should take place when a strategy initiative has been completed, modified, or discontinued. The ASLR answers three questions:
- 1. What happened?
- 2. How or why did it happen?
- 3. What did we learn from it?
The Strategy Scaffold provides leaders with a one-page tool to build, adjust, and communicate the foundational elements of the business including purpose, business model, and plan.