Clinical Pearls for Hoarding
- • Individuals with Hoarding Disorder often do not seek treatment due to limited insight and stigma associated with the condition
- • Weekly cognitive behavioral therapy is the first-line treatment for hoarding
- • Therapy should involve some in-home visits where aspects of motivational interviewing, features of cognitive therapy and behavioral practice, and skills training can be used
- • SRI treatments are less effective for hoarding compared to OCD
- • Hoarding is highly co-morbid with OCD, major depression, Social Phobia, ADHD, and compulsive buying
- • Mataix-Cols D, Billotti D, Fernandez de la Cruz L, Nordsletten AE. The London field trial for hoarding disorder. Psychol Med. 2013 Apr;43(4):837-47.
- • Pertusa A, Frost RO, Mataix-Cols D. When hoarding is a symptom of OCD: a case series and implications for DSM-V. Behav Res Ther. 2010 Oct;48(10):1012-20.
- • Santana L, Fontenelle JM, Yucel M, Fontenelle LF. Rates and correlates of nonadherence to treatment in obsessive compulsive disorder. J Psychiatr Pract. 2013 Jan;19(1):42-53.