Objectives and Necessity of PIM
- 1. To create a sense of ownership of water resources and the irrigation system among the users, so as to promote economy in water use and preservation of the system.
- 2. To improve service deliveries through better operation and maintenance.
- 3. To achieve optimum utilization of available resources through sophisticated deliveries, precisely as per crop needs.
- 4. To achieve equity in water distribution.
- 5. To increase production per unit of water, where water is scarce and to increase production per unit of land where water is adequate.
- 6. To make best use of natural precipitation and ground water in conjunction with flow irrigation for increasing irrigation and cropping intensity.
- 7. To facilitate the users to have a choice of crops, cropping sequence, timing of water supply, period of supply and also frequency of supply, depending on soils, climate and other infrastructure facilities available in the commands such as roads, markets cold storages, etc. so as to maximize the incomes and returns.
- 8. To encourage collective and community responsibility on the farmers to collect water charges and payment to Irrigation Agency.
- 9. To create healthy atmosphere between the Irrigation Agency personnel and the users.