Semi-Structured Interviews with Polish-Speaking Parents
- 1. Which languages does every family member speak to whom at home?
- 2. Which languages does every family member speak in public space, e.g. in the street? Why?
- 3. What are the situations when you speak English with your children? Why?
- 4. What are the situations when your children speak Polish to you?
- 5. Which languages do you use to respond when your children speak English to you?
- 6. Do you sometimes switch from Polish to English when speaking to your children? Why?
- 7. Do you sometimes switch from Polish to English when speaking with bilingual friends? Why?
- 8. Do you accept it when your children use both languages in the same conversation?
- 9. Is switching between the languages a positive or a negative practice?
- 10. Do you think you should speak Polish exclusively to your child? Why?
Language Management and Ideologies
- 11. Do you encourage your children to developing their Polish? How?
- 12. Have you ever read Polish books to your children? Why?
- 13. Do you insist on your children’s speaking Polish to you?
- 14. What do you do if your children do not want to speak Polish to you?
- 15. What are the problems you have faced regarding the transmission of Polish in your family?
- 16. Why did you want your children to attend the Polish Saturday school?
- 17. Does your spouse/ partner share your approach regarding bilingual upbringing?
- 18. Do you think your children’s level of Polish is satisfactory?
- 19. How important is it to you to transmit Polish to your children?
- 20. How do your children feel about the Polish language and culture?
Email Interview Questions (Non-Polish Parents)
- 1. Describe your competence in Polish: comprehension, speaking, etc.
- 2. How often do you use Polish? Give examples.
- 3. How did you contribute to the family’s plan to raise your children bilingually?
- 4. How important is to you that your child can speak Polish? Why?
- 5. How do your children feel about the parental approach to bilingualism?
- 6. How does the parental approach to bilingualism affect your children’s relationship with you as a parent?