Resin is one of the most widely used 3D printing materials. It is generally used in technologies such as SLA, DLP, multi-jet, or CLIR There are different types of resins that can be used for 3D printing, such as castable resins, hard resins, flexible resins, etc.
- 220.127.116.11.1 Distinct Characteristics
- • It can be used in a number of applications.
- • It has a low shrinkage rate.
- • Resin materials are of high chemical resistance.
- • This is a solid and delicate material.
- 18.104.22.168.2 Disadvantages
- • It’s expensive.
- • This type of filament will also expire.
- • Due to its high photo-reactivity, it needs to be stored safely.
- • It may cause premature polymerization when exposed to heat.
PLA (Polylactic Acid)
PLA or polylactic acid is derived from renewable sources such as sugar cane or cornstarch. It’s also called “black plastic.” It is often used in primary and secondary schools because it is safe to use and easy to print. This is also used for FDM screen printing.
- 22.214.171.124.1 Distinct Characteristics
- • PLA is easy to print as it has a low warping effect.
- • It can be printed on a cold surface, too.
- • It can be printed with sharper edges and features compared to ABS material.
- • This material is available in a variety of colors.
- 126.96.36.199.2 Disadvantages
- • PLA materials are not very durable and can deform when exposed to intense heat.
- • This type of material is less durable.
Gold and Silver
Nowadays, 3D printing can be done using gold and silver. These filaments are robust materials and are processed in powder form. These materials are generally used in the jewelry sector. These metals use either the DMLS (direct metal laser sintering) or the SLM method for printing.
- 188.8.131.52.1 Distinct Characteristics
- • It has a high electrical conductivity.
- • It has proof of heat.
- 184.108.40.206.2 Disadvantages
- • Gold and silver printing is expensive.
- • It consumes a lot of effort and energy to get it right.
- • Both gold and silver are difficult to operate with lasers due to their high reflectivity and high thermal conductivity.
• Since these materials require extremely high temperature printing, a regular FDM 3D printer is not suitable for use.