- 1. Discuss at least three types of defects in vehicle parts.
- 2. Discuss the following mechanical failure-associated aviation accidents:
- • US Air Flight 427 accident
- • United Airlines Flight 585 accident
- • British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) Flight 781 accident
- 3. Discuss the classifications of defects in steel rails.
- 4. Discuss rail weld failures and mechanical failure-associated delays in commuter rail service.
- 5. Discuss road and rail tanker failure modes and failure consequences.
- 6. What are the common causes of ship failures?
- 7. Describe the following two techniques:
- i) Differential scanning calorimetry
ii) Therogravimetric analysis
- 8. Assume that a transportation system hardware failure and failure due to human error rates are 0.0006 failures/hour and 0.0002 failures/hour, respectively. Calculate the transportation system reliability during an 8-hour mission and mean time to failure.
- 9. Prove Equation (7.36) by setting = 0 in Equations (7.24)-(7.25) and
then using the resulting equations.
10. Prove Equations (7.41)-(7.44) by using Equations (7.37)—(7.40).
- 1. Fast Facts: The Air Transport Industry in Europe has United to Present Its Key Facts and Figures, IATA, 2006, International Air Transport Association, Montreal, Canada. www.iata.org/pressroom/economics.facts/stats/2003-04-10-01.htrn. Accessed on March 20. 2008.
- 2. Limpert, R., Vehicle System Components: Design and Safety, John Wiley, New York, 1982.
- 3. Dhillon, B.S., Mechanical Reliability: Theory, Models, and Applications, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington, DC, 1988.
- 4. Anderson, J.E., Transit Systems Theory, Heath Company, Lexington, Massachusetts, 1978.
- 5. Causes of Fatal Aviation Accidents by Decade, 2009, www.planecrashinfo.com/cause. htm, Accessed on December 10,2010.
- 6. Bryne, G., Flight 427: Anatomy of an Air Disaster, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2002.
- 7. Aircraft Accident Report: United Airlines Flight 585, Report No. AAR92-06, National Transportation Safety Board, Washington, DC, 1992. http://libraryonline.erau.edu/ online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-reports/AAR92-06.pdf, Accessed on December 15, 2010.
- 8. Report on the Accident to Boeing Vertol (BV) 234LR. G-BWFC 2.5 miles east of Sumburgh, Shetland Isles, 6 November 1986, Report No. 2, Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB). Aldershot, UK. 1986.
- 9. Johnston, M., The Last Nine Minutes: The Story of Flight 981, Morrow, New York, 1976.
- 10. Gero, D., Aviation Disasters, Patrick Stephens Ltd., Sparkford, UK, 1993.
- 11. United Airlines Flight 859, Aircraft Accident Report No. SA-362 (file 1-0003), Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB). Washington. DC, 1962.
- 12. Pan Am Flight 6 (Registration No. 90943), Accident Investigation Report File No. 1-0121, Department of Transportation, Washington, DC, 1957.
- 13. Stewart, S., Air Disasters, Arrow Books, London, 1986.
- 14. Cannon, D.F., Edel, K.O., Grassie, S.L., Sawley, K., Rail defects: an overview, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, Vol. 26, No 10, 2003, pp. 865-886.
- 15. Labropoulos, K.C., Moundoulas, P, Moropoulou, A., Methodology for the Monitoring, Control, and Warning of Defects for Preventive Maintenance of Rails, in Computers in Railways, X. Vol. 88, WIT Transactions on the Built Environment, WIT Press, London, 2006, pp. 935-944.
- 16. Fukada, Y., Yammamotto, R., Harasawa, H., Nakanowatari, Experience in Maintaining Rail Track in Japan, Welding in the Weld. Vol. 47, 2003, pp. 123-137.
- 17. Tatsumi, M., Fukada, Y., Veyama, K., Shitara, H., Yamamoto, R., Quality evaluation methods for rail welds in Japan, Proceedings of the World Congress on Railway Research, 1997, pp. 197-205.
- 18. Nelson, D., O’Neil, K., Commuter Rail Reliability: On-Time Performance and Causes for Delays, Transportation Research Record 1704, 2000, pp. 42-50.
- 19. Marshall, V.C., Modes and Consequences of the Failure of Road and Rail Tankers Carrying Liquefied Gases and Other Hazardous Liquids, in Reliability on the Move, edited by G.B. Guy, Elsevier Science, London, 1989, pp. 136-148.
- 20. Dean, R.J., Investigation of Failure in Marine Environment, ERA Technology Ltd., Leatherhead. Surrey, UK. 2009.
- 21. Dhillon, B.S., Human Factors: With Human Factors, Pergamon Press, New York, 1986.
- 22. Dhillon, B.S., Rayapati, S.N., Reliability and Availability Analysis of on Surface Transit Systems. Microelectronics and Reliability, Vol. 24. 1984, pp. 1029-1033.
- 23. Dhillon, B.S.. Rayapati, S.N., Reliability Evaluation of Transportation Systems with Human Errors, Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Applied Simulation and Modeling, 1985, pp. 4-7.
- 24. Dhillon, B.S., Design Reliability: Fundamentals and Applications, CRC Press, Boca, Raton, Florida. 1999.
- 25. Dhillon, B.S., Rayapati, S.N., Reliability and Availability Analysis of Transit Systems, Microelectronics and Reliability, Vol. 25. No. 6, 1985. pp. 1073-1085.
- 26. Dhillon, B.S., RAM Analysis of Vehicles in Changing Weather, Proceedings of the Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, 1984, pp. 48-53.