The activities of 134Cs, 137Cs, and 110mAg in marine biota off the coast of Fukushima Prefecture in the Pacific Ocean were investigated a year after the FD1NPS accident. 110mAg could be observed in many marine biota after this accident, although it is
Fig. 11.2 Concentration ratio of cesium (CR-Cs) in each part of the marine organisms. Black squares, whole body; gray squares, muscle (edible parts); open squares, viscera; open circles, bony parts
well known that Mollusca and Crustacea concentrate silver in the visceral parts. Finally, it was suggested that the CR fluctuations in plankton is a result of both radioactivity in seawater and sediment resuspension.
Acknowledgements Sampling would not have been possible without the field support provided by the T/S Umitaka-maru, T/S Shinyo-maru, and some research and fishing vessels. Part of the sample treatment support was provided by staff members of the National Research Institute of Fisheries Science, Fisheries Research Agency. This work was partly supported by Health Labour Sciences Research Grant and MEXT Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas (24110004).
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
1. Aoyama M, Tsumune D, Hamajima Y (2012) Distribution of 137Cs and 134Cs in the North Pacific Ocean: impacts of the TEPCO Fukushima-Daiichi NPP accident. J Radioanal Nucl Chem doi:10.1007/s10967-012-2033-2
2. MEXT (2012) radioactivity.mext.go.jp/old/ja/monitoring_around_FukushimaNPP_sea_ marine_soil/2012/03/1350_031518.pdf. Accessed Nov 2012
3. Kasamatsu F (1999) Marine organisms and radionuclides with special reference to the factors affecting concentration of 137Cs in marine fish. Radioisotopes 48:266–282 (in Japanese)
4. Calmet D, Charmasson S, Gontier G (1991) Chernobyl radionuclides in the Mediterranean seagrass Posidonia oceanica, 1986–1987. J Environ Radioact 13:157–173
5. MEXT(2012) radioactivity.mext.go.jp/ja/contents/6000/5731/24/194_1_H2305data_0713. pdf. Accessed Nov 2012
6. Fisheries Agency (2012) Inspection on radioactivity in fisheries products. jfa.maff. go.jp/j/sigen/gaiyou/index.html. Accessed Nov 2012 (in Japanese)
7. Oikawa S, Takata H, Watabe T, Misonoo J, Kusakabe M (2013) Distribution of the Fukushimaderived radionuclides in seawater in the Pacific off the coast of Miyagi, Fukushima, and Ibaraki Prefectures, Japan. Biogeosciences 10:5031–5047
8. IAEA (1985) Sediment distribution coefficients and concentration factors for biota in the marine environment, vol 422, Technical reports series. International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna