Organisation and Functions of the NDL (1952)
In 1952, the management of the NDL was oriented toward the average user, and consisted primarily of a general reference department and a planning approval department (see Fig. 4.11). Within this mode of management, the general inspection department handled public services, and the planning approval department handled technical services.
Under the purview of the general reference department responsible for public services, the organisation was organised into different sections. Even if it had a small staff, each section was further separated into respective areas of specialty.
In the case of technical services, the organisation of the planning approval department closely follows the functions of a library. The functions of the sections in the planning approval department pertain to acquisitions, classification, cataloguing and indexing. In 1952, these duties were not demarcated into multiple sections, and therefore, staff in the organisation at the time were tasked with many duties. This means that library staff had to handle a wide variety of library-related duties, rather than specific types of duties.
The broader organisation, on the other hand, included departments for management, international duties, architecture and library branches. The structure of the organisation was therefore shaped by its various functions. The administrative department consisted of general affairs, personnel and accounting sections. The international department, whose primary function is to communicate with foreign countries, was established
Fig. 4.11 Organisation and functions of the National Diet Library (1952).
individually; the organisation was formed based on two themes: foreign and domestic agendas. The library branches department was responsible for making arrangements with branches, which shows that a distinct, separate department was necessary to collaborate with branches of the library. In addition, a construction department was responsible for building structures in which the library and its equipment and resources would be housed. The department focused primarily on facilities improvement. These departments were incorporated based on their functions into the broader organisation in 1952.