Organisation and Functions of the NDL (June 1959)
There was no significant organisational reform undertaken between 1952 and 1958. After 1959, however, dramatic organisational reform occurred (see Fig. 4.12). The most significant change that was effected in this year was the separation of technical services into the planning approval department, and the establishment of the acquisitions department and the technical services department. Technical services were delegated into various, more function-oriented sections. The reason for making the acquisition department independent, for instance, was to establish a book selection system and to make the collection of materials more streamlined. This is evidence of the movement towards making operations more efficient through function-based organisation.
The public services department consisted of four large reading rooms where subjects related to the humanities, sociology, science and technology, serials and newspapers could be read. Therefore, technical services (in the form of bibliographies and journal article indices) were provided according to the type and subject of the material. In other words, in 1959, the public services department was structured with the aim of providing a wide range of functions, from technical to public services, while focusing primarily on user services, which were based on the specificity of subject material.
In this time, the organisation was also characterised by the fact that the operations office was also housed in the public services department. This office was included in the public services department in order to integrate the subjects, functions, form of materials, and the like, which were managed by the library.
The establishment of a post for operations management at the department level, outside of the management department, was considered a significant change.
Figure 4.12 (Continued)
Indirect operations, on the other hand, consisted of administrative, liaison and architecture departments. Primary changes included enhancing the administrative department by establishing a training section for the international department and their various branches. The division of duties of the training or planning section that had previously been under the control of the personal affairs section was related to ‘studies for improving work efficiency’. Therefore, the specific function of the department was to improve the efficiency and quality of work in the organisation. The newly established liaison department was formed by integrating the international business and library branches departments. The department was devoted to managing arrangements with organisations outside of the NDL. The organisation was restructured in June 1959 in order to centralise all functions for enhancing work efficiency.