- 1. Why have the “hidden forms” of intimate violence been overlooked? How does blaming the victim contribute to keeping certain forms of intimate violence hidden? How do cultural norms and values concerning children, parents, or the elderly contribute to keeping certain forms of intimate violence hidden?
- 2. Why has elder abuse received more attention than the other forms of hidden violence?
- 3. What are some of the factors related to hidden forms of violence? How do the factors related to hidden violence compare to factors related to the abuse of young children or violence between spouses?
1. Find out if your state has mandatory reporting laws for cases of elder abuse. Who is required to report? How many cases are reported each year? Has there been an increase in reporting in the last few years? What services are available in your community, city, or state for victims of elder abuse?
2. Conduct a survey and measure people’s awareness of and attitudes toward the known forms of family violence (child abuse or wife abuse) and the hidden forms. Be sure to ask parallel questions so that you can compare the results.