TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION IN PROBLEM SOLVING
There are many technology tools that support multiplication and division tasks. One such tool is the GCP/LCM Tool, shown below. This tool allows students to enter two numbers, which are then factored. These factors are displayed in several ways to model various techniques for representing factorization. The Venn diagram, in particular, gives students a very concrete view of the shared factors, which lead to the GCF, and total factors leading to the LCM.
Figure 4.10 Technology applet to visualize factors, greatest common factors and least common multiples.
Chapter Resources & References
The famous locker problem:
https://www.illustrativemathematics.org/content-standards/tasks/938 Locker problem applet
Prime numbers (Sieve of Eratosthenes)
MORE RELATED RICH PROBLEMS TO EXPLORE
1. Consider the following pictorial representations. Write the related mathematical statement.
- 2. Find the missing number: 25 + 250 = 25 x_.
- 3. Simplify the following expression:
- 4. What is the area of a rectangle (in inches) whose length is 12 inches and width 2 feet long?
- 5. A copy machine can make 8 copies in 12 seconds. How many copies can this same machine make in 2 minutes?
- 6. The sum of two prime numbers is 21. What is the product of these two prime numbers?
- 7. (AMC8 2006) In the multiplication problem below А, В, C,
D and are different digits. x CD ^hat's A+B?
C D C D