SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE
The following software and hardware were used in the collection and organization of this dataset:
- 1. Electrical Geodesics, Inc. (128-channel EEG equipment with Net Station software)
- 2. LG stereoscopic TV with 3D glasses
- 3. TOBII Eye Tracker and software
- 4. MATLAB 2010 (for simulation)
- 5. PASS for sample size calculation
- 6. SPSS for statistical analysis
EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN AND PROTOCOL
Students from Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS were recruited for selection in the experiment. The study was based on the following reference:
- • Students who were willing to participate and fill out their consent to take part in the experiment.
- • Students who fulfilled selection criteria.
The experiment was conducted in the Centre of Intelligent Signal and Imaging Research (CISIR), Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, during the months of November and December 2012.
Sample Size Computation
Sample size formula:
a = significance level, 0.05 P = power of the study, 80%
p1 = probability of motion sickness in 2D case, 18.5% fixed base simulators30
p2 = probability of motion sickness in 3D case, 59.1%31 n = 21 participants for one group
Participants were allocated to 2D and 3D by stratified sampling method. The number of female participants was proportionally less than male participants. Therefore, to remove a gender bias from the study, stratified sampling was implemented. Through stratified sampling, the proportion of males and females in both the groups were equal; this was done using SPSS software.