Statement of the Problem
In this era, as technology evolves, the demands on the use of large volumes of data escalate. Managing such information in form of Big Data has become a challenge. In order to overcome such challenges, the industry, particularly in the developed world has engaged various technologies to manage the Big Data storage and processing. Some of these technologies and methods employed are resource virtualisation, analytic of data to predict the output, utilisation of analytic tools, Big Data management, and management of the four (4) V’s. However, none or very little has been done to tackle the Big Data challenges in the developing world. It is in view of that the ZAMBiDM was envisaged to collectively bring all the resources from the ZAMREN member institutions. Using the collective resources, the ZAMREN would build the ZAMBiDM with the capacity to manage the four V’s, these are volume, variety, velocity and variability of data.
Objective of the ZAMBiDM
The ZAMBiDM is developed in-line with the following objectives:
- • Design and build the ZAMBiDM architecture.
- • Write the ZAMBiDM road map.
- • Employ highly qualified data analytics, and data-were housing personnel.
- • Develop data management, analytic and quality tools.
- • Acquire servers to accommodate large volumes of data.
- • Collect and store large heterogeneous volume of data from academic and industry sectors including the NRENs worldwide.
- • Virtualise all the data, software and hardware resources.
- • Manage the four (4) “V’s” of data and these are volume, variety, velocity and variability.
- • Build operational processes or nodes.
- • Develop relevant strategies for the respective operation nodes.
- • Elevate ZAMBiDM data to executive level.