Recommendations for cross-border innovation policies in the Bothnian Arc
The potential for cross-border co-operation in innovation in the Bothnian Arc is still under-exploited today. To grasp these opportunities, several new directions are recommended.
Cross-border area: Build on the two urban hubs, collect data and improve internal accessibility to support cross-border innovation potential
- • Build on the main innovation hubs of Oulu and Lulea, while also connecting firms in more rural municipalities that have distinctly different industrial profiles.
- • Collect cross-border statistics to help guide a potential strategy for the cross-border area, and document the main areas of expertise (public and private actors) in different sectors.
- • Identify opportunities for improving internal accessibility within the cross-border area.
Governance: Develop a shared vision and strategy for the Bothnian Arc area, with greater involvement of firms and knowledge institutions
- • Develop a joint strategy for the Bothnian Arc to drive cross-border innovation action.
- • Seek the involvement of private actors and knowledge institutions (triple helix) in the development of cross-border activities.
- • Connect regional and national authorities to the strategy.
- • Increase resources to the Bothnian Arc Association to augment its capacity for supporting strategic cross-border development.
Innovation policies and instruments: Communicate more about cross-border area opportunities to support strategic programmes and instruments
- • Communicate and diffuse information on the cross-border area’s innovation potential and successes.
- • Define strategic programmes and actions to increase cross-border, knowledge-based interactions, learning from other cross-border area experiences.
Ajmone Marsan, G. and K. Maguire (2011), “Categorisation of OECD regions using innovation-related variables”, OECD Regional Development Working Papers, No. 2011/03, OECD Publishing, Paris, http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5kg8bf42qv7k-en.
Launonen, M., K. Launonen, H. Sundvall and M. Lindqvist (2013), “Background report for OECD study on cross-border regional innovation policies: Bothnian Arc”, Bothnian Arc, January.
Nauwelaers, C., K. Maguire and G. Ajmone Marsan (2013), “The case of the Bothnian Arc (Finland-Sweden) - Regions and Innovation: Collaborating Across Borders”, OECD Regional Development Working Papers, No. 2013/17, OECD Publishing, Paris, http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5k3xv0r6v26b-en.
OECD (2013), OECD Regional Statistics (database), http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/region- data-en.