Best Practices for Lead

  • • Clean all surfaces thoroughly where children can chew, touch, or lick the surface.
  • • Wash all toys and stuffed animals regularly.
  • • Make sure the children always wash their hands thoroughly and frequently.
  • • Where possible do not have children in structures which may have been painted with lead-based paints.
  • • Do not sand or burn off paint from older structures.
  • • Do not burn painted wood.
  • • If potentially lead-painted surfaces need to be scraped or sanded, have this done by professional contractors in an appropriate manner.
  • • Change all clothing before entering the home if the individual is involved in construction, demolition, painting, working with lead batteries, or any other situation where lead may have been used in the industrial process.
  • • Check the drinking water supply for lead.
  • • Make sure that the child gets adequate quantities of iron and calcium to reduce lead absorption.
  • 9. Nitrogen Dioxide is a toxic gas, corrosive and a highly reactive oxidant. It is typically produced indoors from unvented combustion appliances such as gas stoves, kerosene heaters, and tobacco smoke. It is an irritant to the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, throat, and respiratory tract. At high levels, it can cause pulmonary edema and lung injury.
< Prev   CONTENTS   Source   Next >