Study Guide Questions
For questions 1-4, indicate whether the statement is true or false.
1. _The Fourth Amendment governs search and seizure
evidence in a criminal case.
- 2. _Procedural law has to do with a body of laws governing how courts proceed with appointing judges.
- 3. _The importance of the Supreme Court’s decision in
Mapp v. Ohio is that illegally obtained evidence is inadmissible.
4. _A search does not require a search warrant if it is
made incident to a lawful arrest.
5. A stop and frisk, or pat-down search, of a suspect requires
a. Probable cause
b. A search warrant
c. Reasonable suspicion
d. A judge’s approval
6. The exclusionary rule prohibits the use of evidence that is
a. Discovered in plain view
b. Of little value
c. Not obtained by crime scene investigators
d. In violation of the Fourth Amendment
7. When evidence is obtained by illegal means and that evidence results in the finding of further evidence, then this situation will fall under
a. Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine
b. Miranda warnings
c. Stop and frisk rule
d. Misconduct rule
8. A search and seizure is legal if
a. The officer means well
b. An individual gives the officer permission to search
c. The police are trying to get evidence to prosecute a serial killer
d. The police follow the rule of cutting corners in order to ensure a conviction