THE IMPORTANCE OF BIG DATA IN OFFICIAL STATICS
Big data may allow enriching official statics and treating the problems resulted from the traditional ways of collecting them, in the following:
- 1. Velocity: field surveys require from preparation to making to showing results a long time, so from a timing perspective, there are annual bulletins, others quarterly or monthly. For instance, concerning the annual ones, we find them late for years what influences all that relies on these data.
- 2. Accuracy and Quality: This shortage of delaying data announcements may influence their quality and importance. In addition, because surveys are built on the samples that do not give exact results only if they have been selected carefiilly, this affects in return the estimation and planning process of inhabitants’ needs.
Generally, we may come out with the importance of big data in official statics in the following points:
- • Reducing the costs of data collection;
- • Reducing the burden on participants;
- • Diversity, richness, accumulation, and immediate availability of data;
- • Accuracy and quality.
THE CLASSIFICATION OF BIG DATA SOURCES THAT MAY BE USED IN OFFICIAL STATICS
Big data sources used in producing official statics vaiy, where the statistical committee’s report in 2014 set them in the following resources:
- • The emerging sources from one program management: electronic medical records, insurance records, and bank records.
- • Sources of tracking devices: satellite images, road sensors, climate sensors.
- • Sources of tracking devices like cell phones and GPS.
- • Sources of behavioral data like the number of making research on the internet and page viewing.
- • Sources of data associated with opinions like comments on social media.
21.5.1 PROBLEMS OF USING BIG DATA IN OFFICIAL STATICS
It is not easy to deal with big data as a source of official statics as it is for traditional sources because it faces many problems. The most critical ones are:
- • There is a huge amount of stored big data that exposes how to treat and exploit them.
- • So the problem of analysis for the absence of sufficient ways and technical programs to do that.
- • These data may not be of the needed quality; for instance, they do not cover a specific type of variables or do not include the target society units that give approximately the same problems of traditional studies (bias, missing values, and data quality and completeness).
- • They require techniques and ways, first from searching to collecting to analyzing that develop accordingly with their size and diversity.
- • Dealing with this type of data confronts property and privacy rights what means the necessity of a legal frame.
In general, one may summarize the problems of using big data in official statics as it is mentioned in the UN statistical committee of 2014 in the legitimate aspects, privacy aspects, financial, management, and technological aspects, then finally the methodological aspects.
21.5.2 REQUIREMENTS OF USING BIG DATA IN OFFICIAL STATICS
Big data help to establish an effective information system for the official statics through:
- • Exchanging interactive information on the internet for statistical information.
- • Continuous work on developing programs that allow recording, processing, collecting, and analyzing these data.
- • Providing specialists with big data with the needed skills and technological techniques.
- • Benefiting from developed countries through training specialists on official statics derived from big data.
- • Monitoring, auditing, frequent, and continuous data collection (immediate to work).